SAU Buzz

Long weekend of football for Ambrose's fighting bees

by Carter Foley
Posted on Oct 04, 2018

It’s no surprise that weather can be an impact on the field for football players. But the St. Ambrose Fighting Bees didn’t know they’d be spending the whole weekend in St. Louis due to multiple weather delays.


The Bees’ second game of the year was originally scheduled to be played on a Sept. 8, against the Lindenwood University-Belleville Lynx. Due to severe weather traveling across the Midwest that weekend, the game was moved up to Sept. 7, instead. Coaches from both teams believed that they could dodge the weather before it hit hard Saturday.


The Bees left Friday morning around 9 a.m. and began driving to St. Louis to play the Lynx at 7 p.m. Before kickoff it became clear that the weather might be a factor, as it was anticipated to rain all afternoon.


As the first quarter was underway, the rain started picking up. There was one initial rain delay that halted play for a few minutes. As the players went back to the field when it was clear to play, there had been other delays that kept interfering with the game throughout the 1st quarter. The referees decided to postpone the game, knowing that it would get worse before getting better.


“Most of the players were really frustrated they couldn’t finish the game,” said Wide Receivers Coach LaMont Johnson. “It was game day, guys were focused, guys were lasered in, and they were ready to play football.”


Players soon shortly accepted the fact that they wouldn’t be playing until Sunday and made the most of it.


“I think our guys were able to connect with each other better during the weekend,” said Super Backs Coach Ronnie Dunlap. “ We watched college football and ended up eating at their cafeteria on Saturday; we just hung out with each other all day long.”


When gametime finally came around on Sunday, the players and coaching staff were ready. The weather had finally cleared up, and both teams were ready to finish what they started on Friday.


The Bees ended up winning 26-0 in dominant fashion. The coaches emphasized throughout the weekend how they weren’t leaving St. Louis without a win and the players certainly responded.